Planning Permission



                                        Planning Information & Guidelines

Many types of buildings and structures can be built within the property  boundary without the need to apply for planning permission. This is known as Permitted Development Rights. The types of buildings include garages, sheds, workshops, greenhouses, accommodation for animals, summer houses, swimming pool enclosures, changing facilities and many other kinds of structures.

In rural areas timber framed buildings are often the preferred type of structure, as they are considered to have a more rustic appearance than brick built structures.

If the proposed scheme and site meet the following criteria then one may be able to construct a building using Permitted Development Rights, without the need to seek planning permission:

  1. ·The proposed building will be within the curtilage of your garden

  2. ·

  3. ·The proposed building will be sited behind the main building or at least 20 metres from the nearest public highway, bridle path, footpath and or byway

  4. ·

  5. ·At least 5 metres from the existing house

  6. ·

  7. ·At Least 1 metre from the boundary

  8. ·

  9. ·Under 3 metres in height or under 4 metres in height for a pitched roof - measured from the highest adjacent ground.

As a guide, planning permission is required if any of the following apply:

  1. ·

  2. ·If more than half the area of land around the original house would be covered by the additional and other existing buildings

  3. ·

  4. ·If your house is listed and you want to put up a building or structure with a volume of more than 10 cubic metres

  5. ·

  6. ·If the building or structure is not to be used for the purposes ancillary to the domestic use and is to be used instead, for running a business or storing goods for business use

  7. ·

  8. ·If you live in a Conservation Area, a National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, or the Broads, and you want to put up a building or structure with a volume of more than 10 cubic metres (though it might be allowed as an extension).

Your proposed structure may require planning permission,  please read  the information below  for brief details and guidelines.  Careful consideration is advised prior to  making any proposal to the local  planning  office.

Whilst we have endeavoured to provide brief planning information, this cannot be fully relied upon as regulations may be revised by HMG. The  full planning details, rules and regulations are provided , generally free of charge, by the Planning Department of your local County Council offices.  

Planning Links

New Forest National Park Authority Planning Office:

New Forest Planning Office:

Hampshire Planning:

Dorset Planning:

The National Planning Portal:

The next step:

Please contact us by phone or e mail & we will be pleased to discuss your  proposed scheme , and arrange an appointment.

Our initial visit is free, quotations for specific contract works are free, our charges for design work are scaled to each scheme.

We are here to help our customers acquire their  important  outdoor   space, whatever the size, so contact us now and we will be pleased to help.

Telephone: 01590 682487 / 07921 574895

E mail: :